Monday, July 11, 2011

When Life Gives You Lemons...Make Limoncello














I'm entertaining the idea of entertaining for an all-out garden-esque dinner party later this summer when Wisconsin's fruits and ripe and ready to devour. In prep for the picnic table party, I decided to make my own twist on an after-dinner drink: Limoncello.

Limoncello is commonly served in Italy as a digestive (deee-gesteeve they would say). I fell in love with the citrus concoction while studying there. Turns out - quite simple to make.

What you need:
Lemons
Sugar
High Proof Alcohol (Everclear is best, Vodka will do)
Jars with lids
Twine

I made my batch with Vodka, but realized that Everclear would be better because the high alcohol content soaks up more flavor. The cool-looking way to make this stuff is: use 1.5 lemons per jar. First, grate 1/2 of lemon peel and mix with the alcohol. Then, develop a contraption to hang another quartered lemon above alcohol, then sealing the lid (twine). Do not let the lemon touch the alcohol - just dangle above. Let sit on counter, wait a month for science to work its wonders!

Updates coming...in a month.

Cheers,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment